Outreach Tips for Members
Outreach Tips for Members
Thank you for joining GreatGardenSpeakers.com! Once you're a member, we’d like to ask your help in spreading the word about our site. For a running list of what we've done to promote all of us on this site, go here. But we can't do it without your help!
Here are just a few ideas for how to get the word out. At the bottom of the page is some sample text that we’ve been using—you’re welcome to take it and adapt it to your own needs.
Create A Simple URL That Is Easy To Share.
After you have created your speaker profile, you might want to create a simple URL for it. That will make it easier to send the link to people in an email. The URL that will be created automatically is something like this: www.greatgardenspeakers.com/your-name/13u89qjnjknfviu3. Confusing, huh! Wouldn't you rather just have your name, without all the numbers and letters?
You can do that. Log into your account at www.greatgardenspeakers.com/members. Enter your username and password. Click "Manage Speakers," then click on the little red arrow pointing up to the right of your speaker listing name.
Where it says "Friendly URL," you can choose the URL you want. Most people use their first and last name with a hyphen between them, like john-smith. This URL is easier to remember and share than the one automatically assigned when you create your listing.
Now Help Us Spread the Word!
- Contact the groups you've spoken to in the past and encourage them to use the site to look for speakers. While you’re at it, send them a link to your new speaker profile and ask them to post an Audience Review!
- When you get speaking requests, consider adding a line like this to your responses: "I'm part of a new speakers bureau, www.GreatGardenSpeakers.com, aimed at helping groups find speakers. I hope you'll check it out and sign up for the e-mail newsletter on the About page if you're interested. Do a search for my name to read the latest audience reviews from people who have seen me speak."
- Contact other speakers with expertise in gardening, horticulture, floral or garden design, ecology, nature, or conservation, to let them know about GreatGardenSpeakers.
- Reach out to speakers through associations, listservs, conferences, and meetings. (If you are able to distribute flyers or postcards at an event, please contact us!)
- Post a link or badge on your website, blog, Facebook page, etc. To use our blog badge, just download the badge from this page and link it back to GreatGardenSpeakers.com:
- Add a slide with the GGS logo to the end of your PowerPoint presentations, or include the logo in your handout, and encourage audiences to visit the site and post a review of your talk.
- Encourage people to sign up for our email newsletter. We use this newsletter to spread the word about new speakers, new topics, tour dates, tips for hosting great events, and more. The address of the sign-up page is: www.greatgardenspeakers.com/content/newsletter.html.
- Get in touch with us if you've got ideas for promoting GreatGardenSpeakers.
Be sure to link to us!
Linking to Great Garden Speakers helps spread the word about the site and boosts our ranking in online searches. Consider linking to us from:
- Your website
- Your blog
- Your Amazon Author Central blog
- Your Facebook page
- Your page on Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc.
- Your author page on BookTour, RedRoom, or other sites, such as professional associations, where you promote yourself.
Sample Email that Speakers Can Send to Other Speakers They May Know. Feel free to make changes to personalize this email.
I’m pleased to let you know that I’ve joined a group called GreatGardenSpeakers.com. Our goal is to make it easier for garden clubs, botanical gardens, and other groups to find the kind of high-quality speakers they are looking for in the areas of gardening, floral and landscape design, and conservation/ecology. I hope you’ll take a look at the site and consider joining. We’re hoping to get a diverse group of speakers so that we can be a one-stop-shop for anyone looking for a speaker. Here’s how it works:
- GreatGardenSpeakers.com (GGS) is not a lecture agency—they don’t get involved in negotiating fees and they don’t take a commission. The site is being run by a group of garden writers who are volunteering their time to help promote all of us—it’s not an anonymous dot-com corporation.
- GGS is promoted to garden clubs, botanical gardens, and other groups looking for speakers through press releases, paid advertising, and an email newsletter. So Great Garden Speakers more than a website—it’s a collective outreach and promotion effort aimed at getting better exposure for all of us.
- GGS includes a special “Coming to a City Near You” feature that lets you list upcoming events so that groups looking for a speaker can take advantage of the fact that you’re already in town. This might allow them to save on travel costs and allow you to make the most of your time on the road. Even if you’re not in town for an event—maybe you’re attending a conference or just passing through—you can list where you will be so that groups nearby can find you.
- GGS makes it easy for speakers with complementary areas of expertise to put together symposium packages, so that a group can book a full day event with you and other speakers.
- Audience members have the option of posting reviews of speakers they have seen. Garden clubs and other groups tell us they really appreciate this feature.
There is a small fee to join--$5 per month, with the option of buying a “Featured Listing” whenever you have a new book or special topic you want to promote. The fees cover the monthly hosting costs for the site and the outreach and advertising. The site runs at a break-even basis, with every dollar going to these costs.
If this sounds interesting to you, please visit http://www.greatgardenspeakers.com/content/speakers.html to sign up and see answers to frequently-asked questions. And here’s a direct link to my listing on the site:
SPEAKER LISTING LINK HERE
Sample email to garden clubs, botanical gardens, and other venues you may be in contact with. Feel free to make changes and personalize this email!
I’m pleased to let you know that I’ve joined a group called GreatGardenSpeakers.com. Our goal is to make it easier for garden clubs, botanical gardens, and other groups to find the kind of high-quality speakers they are looking for. I hope you’ll bookmark the site and use it next time you’re looking for a speaker.
We’ve designed the site just for you, because we know how challenging it can be to put programs together for an audience. Here’s how it works:
- GreatGardenSpeakers.com is completely free for you to use and doesn’t require you to sign up or give any personal information. Speakers pay a small fee to be listed on the site.
- You can search for speakers by name, topic, or category. We have also created a special “Coming to a City Near You” feature that lets you search for speakers who either live near you, or who might be traveling to your area in the future. This might allow you to save on travel costs and speaking fees by booking a speaker who is already in town.
- We encourage speakers with complementary areas of expertise to put together symposium packages, making it easier for you to plan a conference or symposium all at once. Please check the “Program Packages” category for more information.
- Audience members have the option of posting reviews of speakers they have seen. This provides a way for garden clubs and other groups to recommend the speakers they have enjoyed the most. I encourage you to visit the site post reviews of any speakers you have heard!
- GreatGardenSpeakers.com does not act as an agent or go-between. Once you find a speaker you’re interested in booking, you can contact them directly to make the arrangements.
- We offer a free email newsletter to keep you updated on new speakers that have joined our group, new topics or book releases, and other news you can use. We promise not to email you more than once a month, and your email address is kept completely confidential and will never be shared or sold. Sign up for the email newsletter at: www.greatgardenspeakers.com/content/newsletter.html.
If this sounds interesting to you, please visit http://www.greatgardenspeakers.com/content/venues.html to see answers to frequently-asked questions. And here’s a direct link to my listing on the site:
SPEAKER LISTING LINK HERE